Dreadful Locations

Rituals, spells, prayer, meditation and magical acts.
Smaragd

Dreadful Locations

Post by Smaragd »

The topic might sound like it would fit in the Psychic Phenomena area, but I'm specifically interested in talking about the formulas you see possible and meaningful to work with within locations that inspire fear.

Fear is an astral phenomena and as such it leads to astray if one's main focus is in there. But once you have a firm footing in the philosophy and you have grounded your strive well enough, what ideas do you see interesting to work with in locations charged with such intensity that it reaches the point of fear?

One could also approach the question from the negative side: what kind of work does not suite for such locations?
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Re: Dreadful Locations

Post by Nefastos »

I would link this to one's aspectual phase.

Black: For to begin one's practice. To face the darkness within and without.

White: For to end one's practice in accomplishment and conscious growth. To claim the personal empowerment with the now superior mindset, transcending the feelings of dread with minimal forcing.

Red: Most likely often visited (at least astrally), but not wholly on the place's own terms. Instad, wrestling with the energies and their use for the path of ascension.

The wrong implementations of such places I'd see in cases where they are visited for astral=emotional kicks.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Nefastos wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:35 pm transcending the feelings of dread with minimal forcing.
Care to share more or less loose examples of this?

Couple years back I tended to choose desolate outdoor locations for my calendary rituals that usually happened during evenings and nights. Although, with specific sacrificial deeds some of them ended up being very meaningful and even completely miraculous in my books, I stopped doing this because a small voice behind all of it questioned whether I am missing something under the astral impressions that were anyway starting to get in to the way of focusing on the prayer.

On one occasion I was including a meditation to the ritual which gave way to the nocturnal surroundings in a focused way. My imagination started picturing an entity coming out of a nearby cave and moving behind me (my back was towards the entrance of the cave). Although this vision was tinged with all sorts of colourings, I came to think of it as the Genius Loci. At the time I was not prepared to deal with such explicitly appearing dreadful entities and it was mostly just a practice of keeping my cool and trying not to let it distract my ability to focus on what I was there to do, as well as trying to find ability to co-exist or find a respectful relation to the location despite the charge in the air.

In hindsight I've come think that this very colouring that my psyche laid on this entity could be something one could work with in elaborate ways. If we could indeed say that it is a Genius Loci + the form my psyche gave to it, I could start writing down interpretations first on the location and its meanings, and secondly on the colouring, the form my psyche gave to it. Pointing down for example what kinds of planetary correspondences I connect to the place and the fear, I could map out the fear and find what is this more elaborate form about. At best I would see such work connecting to the hidden side of oneself through the trajectory of otherness marked by fear. It's like negotiating with Satan (the abstract darkness of the night) about the powers (symbolized by the fear and the more specific forms the psyche gives to it) that are still above me rather than something that I would be able to be responsible of. One could work with such fears dynamicly even in phases where ascetism has an emphasised role.

Ofcourse there's great danger how frightful locations might only awaken for example the lizard brain which tries to protect the biological organism with reflexes and atavistic knowledge of threads in the wilderness. In such probable(!) cases there seems to be not much meaningful substance to work with, just millenias old reflexes kicking in in a situation that might not be of any use for the current stage of occult striving. A typical fall for astralism.

Although it is a bit silly to share half baked or untrialed formulas, the topics intention is to lift up notions of practical occultism and see if anything interesting rises from it.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Smaragd wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:50 pm
Nefastos wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:35 pmtranscending the feelings of dread with minimal forcing.

Care to share more or less loose examples of this?

For example, if you have a fear of heights, but in the process of White revitalization have become so much more grounded in your individual energetical focus that at the end of the cycle it feels quite easy to confront that fright. At that point the dread of such a place is met in a ritual that involves confronting it, in this case made at least partially in a particularly high place. In that case it's a calm mindset that is ready to conquer such an inner darkness, without neither fascinated adoration (Black) or readiness to struggle (Red), but simple claiming what is already one's own. There can be slight pushing, but in case it becomes hard to face with one's usual, astrally and otherwise not-intoxicated mindset, it is a clear sign that such a White peak still remainds unconquered, and even with a succesful ritual, would remain as a Black or Red accomplishment instead.

Different White cycles usually deal with different fears, so one might notice (e.g.) that he is no longer afraid of heights, but his fear of snakes still persists. All fears are different kinds of in-locked psychic energy, but it is not part of any White working to force oneself to conquer such frights.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"