Fear

Astral and paranormal experiences, dreams and visions.
Polyhymnia

Re: Fear

Post by Polyhymnia »

Peregrina wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:50 pm They say that fear cannot persist where love resides, but it seems that love produces fear.
This went straight through my heart like an arrow. I think the only thing I fear in this world is for those I love to come to harm. I think about not being able to keep my children safe, and I fear. It's my intense love for them that makes me fear the loss of them.

Of course, there are probably other things I fear, but I haven't been exposed to such stimuli in so long that I don't know anymore. I used to fear snakes, but that passed once I held one. Clowns, but that passed as childhood did. The dark, but no longer. Heights, maybe still. I'm not afraid of death, but I'd prefer not to fall or burn to death. I read that an effective way to overcome fear is through exposure therapy, but I don't know how one would do that for things that can only be imagined, like falling or burning to death, or those motherly fears. I have dreamt of both of my children being kidnapped, and the anguish from those dream states still linger in my mind, even though my son is now almost fully grown.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Cancer

Post by Cancer »

Peregrina wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:50 pmThey say that fear cannot persist where love resides, but it seems that love produces fear.
I often fear that someone close to me will kill themself. I know that in most situations this is irrational, but sometimes I kind of lose my mind when someone doesn't answer the phone / text me back when I know they are in distress. About a year ago a friend accidentally broke his phone in the middle of a heavy conversation, and I ran to his apartment (which is close to mine) faster than I've maybe ever run, the whole way imagining how I'd find his dead body, or how I'd have to block a bleeding artery etc. He was fine, and I think my becoming that unhinged was kind of hard for him. When two mentally ill people try to support each other, it's sometimes difficult to balance things like that.

This is probably related to my partner's suicide in 2016, though I had similar thoughts before that too. Living among very self-destructive people in general has taken its toll I guess. Often the obsessive focus on being certain that someone is safe feels similar to other intrusive / compulsive thoughts, like wanting to check a thousand times that I haven't left the stove on when leaving home. Like my mind forces me into a situation where I know that the compulsive thought is false but still have to obey it, and when that doesn't help, to "accept" that my apartment is on fire, that my friend is dead, that I'm poisoned by the mushroom soup I ate yesterday and will die horribly. This kind of thing is sometimes funny as hell - I often joke about "accepting death like once a week" with a friend who also has these problems.

My partner called me 11 or 12 times the day before she died, and my phone was muted the whole day; I noticed the calls only the next morning, when waking up uncharacteristically early feeling that something was wrong. I fear that this will happen again, that someone who I should be there for tries to reach me and I'm oblivious to it, and that my whole life will collapse as a result.
Tiden läker inga sår.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Fear can be a peculiar thing. One thing that i did not mention in my "what i fear" post is that i am deathly afraid of wasps. It's strange, i know they are small and they usually leave you alone, i can kill them easily enough and yet i am utterly terrified of them. I am nearly paralyzed with fear when one is around. It just proves that fear comes in many forms and it's not always reasonable. If fear was based on reason or knowledge i would not fear them, i know what they are, i know how they act and what it feels if they sting(hurts but not the end of the world) and yet it does not matter one bit, i am still extremely afraid of them. So, where does that fear come from? Why it surpasses logic and reason? What drives us to fear sometimes insignificant things?
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Seferoth wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:19 pm So, where does that fear come from? Why it surpasses logic and reason? What drives us to fear sometimes insignificant things?
Reminds me of traumas that pass on over generations. I could not find an English term for it, but there's been some research on it in Finnish (ylisukupolvinen trauma). I recall Blavatsky writing about some semi folk belief based ideas where a pregnant mother seeing something shocking, like an amputation, could take the astral impression of the shock and give a birth to a child with missing leg for example. This need not be taken literally, though literal interpretation could be possible in some cases. These are two slightly different things, but I think they share a similar idea. If I recall it correctly it is epigenetic study that has proven these traumas passing on over generations, which could be connected to the ideas of astral impressions. We remember how the Theosophists pointed astral to be still fine material, and thus could be perhaps to some degree observed through atomic and molecular research (here meaning DNA chains and chromosomes).

Although karma works in much deeper levels also, I believe traumas passing on to the next generations is a clear example of how karma, in this example that of the family, is carried collectively.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake
Tulihenki

Post by Tulihenki »

Seferoth wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:19 pm Fear can be a peculiar thing. One thing that i did not mention in my "what i fear" post is that i am deathly afraid of wasps. It's strange, i know they are small and they usually leave you alone, i can kill them easily enough and yet i am utterly terrified of them. I am nearly paralyzed with fear when one is around. It just proves that fear comes in many forms and it's not always reasonable. If fear was based on reason or knowledge i would not fear them, i know what they are, i know how they act and what it feels if they sting(hurts but not the end of the world) and yet it does not matter one bit, i am still extremely afraid of them. So, where does that fear come from? Why it surpasses logic and reason? What drives us to fear sometimes insignificant things?
Do you happen to have any anger issues? Reason why I'm asking because I'am quite sure that my fear of wasps relates to times when I have lots of stress and my temper is vastly shortened. Like currently I definitely have some anger issues. Lots of stress and constant flow of worries. As you know wasps starts to attack you instantly if you start to harass them so currently my nerves goes easily into anger mode like wasps which comes into my dreams too. Reasoning doesn't help because anger starts so fast that reasoning comes later and is right away forgotten.

My grandfather is the most peaceful man that I know. His inner balance is tremendous and he has no issues with any kind of wasps, bugs etc. He can just sit with em and no harm comes what so ever. So I think that fear of insects reflects some inner balance problems.

I will face a pack of wolves rather than a swarm of wasps.
Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Tulihenki wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 am
Seferoth wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:19 pm Fear can be a peculiar thing. One thing that i did not mention in my "what i fear" post is that i am deathly afraid of wasps. It's strange, i know they are small and they usually leave you alone, i can kill them easily enough and yet i am utterly terrified of them. I am nearly paralyzed with fear when one is around. It just proves that fear comes in many forms and it's not always reasonable. If fear was based on reason or knowledge i would not fear them, i know what they are, i know how they act and what it feels if they sting(hurts but not the end of the world) and yet it does not matter one bit, i am still extremely afraid of them. So, where does that fear come from? Why it surpasses logic and reason? What drives us to fear sometimes insignificant things?
Do you happen to have any anger issues? Reason why I'm asking because I'am quite sure that my fear of wasps relates to times when I have lots of stress and my temper is vastly shortened. Like currently I definitely have some anger issues. Lots of stress and constant flow of worries. As you know wasps starts to attack you instantly if you start to harass them so currently my nerves goes easily into anger mode like wasps which comes into my dreams too. Reasoning doesn't help because anger starts so fast that reasoning comes later and is right away forgotten.

My grandfather is the most peaceful man that I know. His inner balance is tremendous and he has no issues with any kind of wasps, bugs etc. He can just sit with em and no harm comes what so ever. So I think that fear of insects reflects some inner balance problems.

I will face a pack of wolves rather than a swarm of wasps.
"I will face a pack of wolves rather than a swarm of wasps."...same! I don't think i have anger issues or at least not severe anger issues, but i do suffer from terrible anxiety issues and depression. Wasps are one of the main reasons why i love Winter so much...no other bugs either. Worst part about my wasp fear is that it can get so bad at summer that i start to see any flying insect as a wasp, so i quite literally hallucinate and see wasps everywhere.
Smaragd

Post by Smaragd »

Tulihenki wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 am Like currently I definitely have some anger issues. Lots of stress and constant flow of worries. As you know wasps starts to attack you instantly if you start to harass them so currently my nerves goes easily into anger mode like wasps which comes into my dreams too.
Admirable to have come to look at a particular fear in such a way! I'm sure a similar approach and look at the animal kingdom as it is, is applicable to different problems within the human soul. Inspired by this I will start a new topic on animals and the human soul.
"Would to God that all the Lord's people were Prophets”, Numbers 11:29 as echoed by William Blake