Allegories

Symbols and allegories.
Polyhymnia

Re: Allegories

Post by Polyhymnia »

Ave wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:13 pm I composed my first piano piece a couple of days ago. I cannot really play the piano, but the notes just emerged from somewhere. I always kind of hated my compositions, but I've fell in love with this piece. I realized that playing piano is an allegory of bringing together of the hands and praying. Playing has now felt like praying. With my piano sessions I have gained a new insight into proportion and relations between emotion and stillness. I have observed how subtle thing a balance is. Every single note, every single stream in my being has to be balanced properly, relating to the whole (to the whole piece of music, to the whole human being) and to the Whole.

Mistakes are holy. Mistakes point the way to growth. My CP left hand is holy. I have felt like there are separate beings residing in my left and my right hemisphere. As I play, they grow closer into each other.

Also, I communicate with my father via the piano (I bet you didn't see this one coming). The instrument was his, but know I've claimed it. I always found playing the piano so troublesome, when I tried to play piano accompaniments from the sheets. Now I realized that I don't have to play already existing music, I can make my own. It's so much more fulfilling.

For some reason, the brotherhood has been on my mind while playing. In my mind, I have named the piece after the brotherhood. But really, this music has no name. Thank you, anyway you sweet people.
So many synchronicities in this here alone for me that it almost makes my head spin. I have been working on transmuting the rivers of the Underworld into musical pieces over the course of the last month, a process that requires a foray into the allegory of each river in question, not just at face value, but deeply into the way it resonates within me. It's an exercise I'm finding takes place mostly in the astral realm, and the hope is that when the time comes I will be able to channel that physically. Though this is a collaborative effort with a dear friend of mine, my contributions are being done mostly on piano, but also utilizing the voice as an instrument.

You speak of your cp hand being holy, and it's because of this that I've been able to see my affected ms hand, my left, as also being holy. Even though I am unable to play as I once could, what I can accomplish is holy. And I really do have you to thank. It has brought back the full range of emotion for me while playing my piano, and I reach a deeper place now than I could formerly with two able hands. So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you, dear sister.

Final synchronicity is I also talk to my father while playing the piano. My father has been dead for many years, but it's in this holy place I envision my thoughts reaching him through the veil.

I feel so blessed to be able to have these connections with you, Ave, and with everyone in the brotherhood. I imagine your beautiful piece in my head as I write this. I bet it is so lovely.
Nefastos wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:02 pm

As a child I was asked, which means forced, by my parents to play an instrument for eight years. While this was probably for the best, I think that they were too eager, because violin was chosen for my instrument. Violin really needs a music enthusiast to sound anything but a tuberculotic cat. I asked if I could play piano instead, precisely because of this distance: I've always had this idea that even a man who is not willing to commit a part of his soul to the Muses of music (like me: my soul is sold elsewhere) can reach some average talent in piano, and that would have been enough for me. But instead of becoming an average pianist, I became a lousy violinist. Of course such a talent also has its uses, just not related to music... But we were already talking about allegories here.
That's so interesting! My experience was the exact opposite of this. I begged to learn the violin, but we couldn't afford it, and my dad spent many years as a piano man (in a literal sense, just like the Billy Joel song), so we already had a piano. I started taking violin lessons last year with my daughter though, and I'm proud to report that I am now also a lousy violinist AND a lousy pianist. BUT I'm a huge supporter of making a joyful noise regardless of technical skill, so that mediocrity is very good to me anyway.
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

I've been carrying your message in my heart Polyhymnia, and I too feel blessed to be connected to you and others among the brotherhood. It's really deeply meaningful.
Polyhymnia wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 pm So many synchronicities in this here alone for me that it almost makes my head spin.
Heh, it's also funny that you'd mention Billy Joel's piano man, as I've have thought that _my_ dad was the piano man in that song.
Polyhymnia wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 pm I imagine your beautiful piece in my head as I write this. I bet it is so lovely.
I wonder if the piece sounds even more beautiful in your head. The piece has now started to recede from me - for awhile at least. Some time ago I shared it with fra Smaragd and didn't feel the typical shame of incompetence doing so. It was refreshing - a childlike moment of innocence. But somehow now I've started to rate and grade the piece in my head and it appears mediocre and mundane. But in the same time, I find these projections very interesting - as they reflect an aspect of myself. It's really lovely that art lingers and lives on - even like this. I've started to fantasize about occult jam sessions with brotherhood folks. We already have two violinists on board. I've have also planned to take on the banjo and became a lousy banjo player. I find the sound of banjo quite sublime, not at all mundane or hillbillyish. Or then my sense of sublime is hillbillyish in itself. (And the Deliverance scene really hasn't spoiled banjo from me - rather the opposite.) I'd say that banjo is the satanist's harp.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Ave wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:51 pm It's really lovely that art lingers and lives on - even like this. I've started to fantasize about occult jam sessions with brotherhood folks. We already have two violinists on board. I've have also planned to take on the banjo and became a lousy banjo player. I find the sound of banjo quite sublime, not at all mundane or hillbillyish. Or then my sense of sublime is hillbillyish in itself. (And the Deliverance scene really hasn't spoiled banjo from me - rather the opposite.) I'd say that banjo is the satanist's harp.
I have literally been searching for this thread for weeks! My school duties as well as the launching of Salome have taken me from the forums for a couple of months, but this conversation has been in the back of my mind with intent to return to it. Funny that today I found it with no effort at all. Perhaps a testament to my mental availability then vs. now.

How is the song for you now? Still lingering in some way?

I also wanted to mention that I also revere the banjo. I, myself, play a ukulele. I don't really like when a ukulele is played fast, rather I like the way the strings sound when individually plucked, slowly and with a slight warble. A ukulele is also quite unforgiving. It's extremely easy to play one out of tune, but I even like the way that sounds. Did you ever end up picking a banjo up?
"Limited love asks for possession of the beloved, but the unlimited asks only for itself." -Kahlil Gibran
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm I have literally been searching for this thread for weeks! My school duties as well as the launching of Salome have taken me from the forums for a couple of months, but this conversation has been in the back of my mind with intent to return to it. Funny that today I found it with no effort at all. Perhaps a testament to my mental availability then vs. now.
As we know, all things have their own pace and time.
Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm How is the song for you now? Still lingering in some way?
I played the piece in an old chapel, with an out of tune piano. There, the piece was reborn once again (and it gained my interest once again). And old chapel sounds fancy but it really is a renowated log house, which is currently serving as a foster home (it's also the place I work). I played the piano upstairs of the house. The upstairs is - as it is empty and without any living residents - an eerie place, somehow thick in its air. Now, the piece has been resting for awhile. I made another song, a waltz. I plan to record it with a real microphone(!) some day soon. For some reason, and for a moment, I felt that it is Nefastos' wedding waltz, but I haven't consulted him on this (nor I know he'd be getting married). If someone would ever like to have the song as a wedding waltz, somebody else would have to play it - since I cannot really play. Or then I would insist playing it and it would become a different song, with it's cracks and fails.
Polyhymnia wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm I also wanted to mention that I also revere the banjo. I, myself, play a ukulele. I don't really like when a ukulele is played fast, rather I like the way the strings sound when individually plucked, slowly and with a slight warble. A ukulele is also quite unforgiving. It's extremely easy to play one out of tune, but I even like the way that sounds. Did you ever end up picking a banjo up?
It would be interesting to hear you play ukulele. I picked the banjo up to install the missing string, then another string broke and I laid the banjo down. Hehe.
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Ave wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm For some reason, and for a moment, I felt that it is Nefastos' wedding waltz, but I haven't consulted him on this (nor I know he'd be getting married). If someone would ever like to have the song as a wedding waltz, somebody else would have to play it - since I cannot really play. Or then I would insist playing it and it would become a different song, with it's cracks and fails.
Ahahahaha it's funny you mention Nefastos getting married because some time ago I had a dream where I was staying at a beach house in California with him and his new bride. Maybe this will be the waltz when he marries his American beauty from my dream and moves to this dream Californian beach house :lol:
Ave wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm It would be interesting to hear you play ukulele. I picked the banjo up to install the missing string, then another string broke and I laid the banjo down. Hehe.
How many strings does a banjo have, 5? You still have 3! If we use Psychic TV/Throbbing Gristle logic, one can make music with anything. ESPECIALLY a three stringed banjo! If this pandemic ever ends and I end up being able to come visit Finland, I will bring my uke (it travels everywhere with me, since song is inspired from everything, and it's tiny) and we can make joyful noise together.
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Polyhymnia wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm
Ave wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:45 pm For some reason, and for a moment, I felt that it is Nefastos' wedding waltz, but I haven't consulted him on this (nor I know he'd be getting married). If someone would ever like to have the song as a wedding waltz, somebody else would have to play it - since I cannot really play. Or then I would insist playing it and it would become a different song, with it's cracks and fails.
Ahahahaha it's funny you mention Nefastos getting married because some time ago I had a dream where I was staying at a beach house in California with him and his new bride. Maybe this will be the waltz when he marries his American beauty from my dream and moves to this dream Californian beach house :lol:
Yes, yes. Seems like we have all figured out for our dear brother :>
Polyhymnia wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:56 pm How many strings does a banjo have, 5? You still have 3! If we use Psychic TV/Throbbing Gristle logic, one can make music with anything. ESPECIALLY a three stringed banjo! If this pandemic ever ends and I end up being able to come visit Finland, I will bring my uke (it travels everywhere with me, since song is inspired from everything, and it's tiny) and we can make joyful noise together.
(Yes, five.) Joyful, or atleast noise, that is :3 Have you ever been to Finland? I have imagined you visiting here. When you come I'll play with you!
Polyhymnia

Post by Polyhymnia »

Ave wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:02 am (Yes, five.) Joyful, or atleast noise, that is :3 Have you ever been to Finland? I have imagined you visiting here. When you come I'll play with you!
Not yet, but I dream of it as soon as the world opens up for travel once again! I had intended to make 2021 the year I visited, but the universe had other plans on a scale larger than I could have ever imagined. I look forward to playing with you when the time comes!!