What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Silvaeon

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Silvaeon »

Nefastos wrote:I have listened a great deal of black metal this autumn. Actually, it would be interest to hear the other brethren (and our guests') thoughts about that music genre
I love it. I listen to a lot of different genres of music, but black metal still captivates me like no other. A complicated genre though, so the floodgates are open! I'll try and keep them closed a bit.

Black metal was my first introduction to Satanism back when I was younger. I think maybe this is a similar experience for a lot of people, so that is a positive. That said, despite my love for the music I found that most bands' lyrics left a lot to be desired - nothing more than 'evil' for the sake of evil, and juvenile rebellion, which has it's place to be sure - but this actually kept any interest in Satanism I had at that time from growing.

I think that black metal attracts a lot of outcasts together (positive) but also due to the darkness of it's nature, a lot of people prone to violence and extremity for the sake of those qualities in themselves as well (which can make for some great music though). In general people involved in black metal seem to be more serious and hold strong convictions, regardless of how they approach it or where they're coming from, so that is admirable and keeps my interest in the music even though at times it may be ideologically lacking (some more than others). But it does seem that over the last 10-15 years of the genre there has been a greater shift towards more spiritual, intelligent and thoughtful lyrics in a lot of bands which I think is great (and a few of these bands have come out of Finland, hm). This played a a part in my reevaluation of my intitial thoughts on Satanism.

I think black metal is the perfect vehicle to explore darkness, otherness and mysteries. Musically, I love how it can be anywhere from simpistic, raw and primal to complex, chaotic and elegant - and in both sides of the coin, among all the filth and darkness there is usually some light that manages to shine through in the form of a beautiful, triumphant melody which elevates the soul. That's kind of how I see the SoA philosophy, as a strong melody that won't leave my head.
Nefastos wrote:It seems to be a common misunderstanding that even the Star of Azazel was born from black metal circles, even though the SoA philosophy was formulated first and then I started to work in the black metal scene, because it gave a rare possibility to work with people already interested in Satanic concepts.
This is interesting to me, as I had originally thought SoA to be seperate from metal until I started noticing some of your lyrics pop up in some records I own. It still feels that way to me for some reason, unlike something like Current 218 which for better or worse seems irrevocably linked to metal.

I've also been listening to a lot of black metal lately. I tend not to during the summer, but as soon as the rains come, it's back in full force. Also a lot of old Katatonia (Dance of December Souls), still lot's of modern classical (Gorecki's 3rd -Symphony of Sorrowful Songs and John Luther Adams - Light That Fills The World), and the new Deathspell Omega album is stunning.
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

I've been continuing with classical. Mostly Bach and Vivaldi, but now also some operas like Orff's Carmina Burana and Rossini's William Tell..
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

RaktaZoci wrote:I've been continuing with classical. Mostly Bach and Vivaldi, but now also some operas like Orff's Carmina Burana and Rossini's William Tell..

Bach is indeed the master. He has given me so much that it cannot be measured. Personally I find some similar form of harmony from Corelli and Fauré, you might want to check them out in case you haven't already. Not truly comparable, naturally.

ShieldAnvil wrote:I listen to a lot of different genres of music, but black metal still captivates me like no other. A complicated genre though, so the floodgates are open! I'll try and keep them closed a bit.

No need for too much restrain here. We can always take this discussion apart to its own thread later, in case it seems to form too large here. I too would have a lot to say about the subject, in ways of adoration & criticism both.

ShieldAnvil wrote:I think black metal is the perfect vehicle to explore darkness, otherness and mysteries. Musically, I love how it can be anywhere from simpistic, raw and primal to complex, chaotic and elegant - and in both sides of the coin, among all the filth and darkness there is usually some light that manages to shine through in the form of a beautiful, triumphant melody which elevates the soul. That's kind of how I see the SoA philosophy, as a strong melody that won't leave my head.

I was actually once writing an article about the similarities in black metal & goetia, in a way it was described by the old authors ("crying out unintelligibly", and so on), but it was postponed so many years that it was eventually displaced by one of the articles in the seven aspects of Satan series, where I ended up comparing Satanism with tantric Shiva-worship... All these four seem to revolve around the very same nexus of the powferful & terrible, but yet absolute (thus including also the serene & deeply beautiful) aspect of the liminal God.

ShieldAnvil wrote:This is interesting to me, as I had originally thought SoA to be seperate from metal until I started noticing some of your lyrics pop up in some records I own.

Glad to hear that, for the associations lead us very quickly astray we we start to inspect the philosophy of the Star of Azazel from the black metal view point, or vice versa.

In case you are interested, here is a short (incomplete) list for the bands or albums where I have contributed. Of course, how much I have been able to get my vision through depends on the band, so some lyrics have been released more or less mutilated.

Baptism (many, 2000-2016), Black Dawn: Come the Colorless Dawn 2016, Charnel Winds: Der Teufelsbund 2011 & Verschränkung 2016, IC REX: Sielun kadotuksen sinfonia 2005, Kyy: Travesty of Light 2015 & Beyond Flesh – Beyond Matter – Beyond Death 2016, Profetus: Coronation of the Black Sun 2009, Saturnian Mist: Gnostikoi Ha-Shaitan 2011 & Chaos Magick 2015, Torturium: Ride for Revenge / Torturium Split 2006.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Nefastos wrote: I was actually once writing an article about the similarities in black metal & goetia, in a way it was described by the old authors ("crying out unintelligibly", and so on), but it was postponed so many years that it was eventually displaced by one of the articles in the seven aspects of Satan series, where I ended up comparing Satanism with tantric Shiva-worship... All these four seem to revolve around the very same nexus of the powferful & terrible, but yet absolute (thus including also the serene & deeply beautiful) aspect of the liminal God.
Wasn't there also one article about art and goetia already in "Hylätty Kivi" under name of "Taide ja transendenssi"?
Otava

Post by Otava »

It has been frustrating for a long time to listen to music at home. Hard to concentrate especially when you know that there's a forest nearby. Why should I listen to music at home when I can take it with me?

Especially music what is about nature, darkness, death, hate, misanthropy, spirituality . . . Listening to it in a modern place like typical living room (whatever it is...) while staring at the speakers or a flat screen, or a booklet or even keeping eyes shut, pfff. I don't have enough imagination for that anymore & feels usually stupid.

There's a campfire nearby at the pond and that's where I go after the sun goes down & other people have left. Sometimes I can still revive the fire. Staring at the flames, surrounded by darkness, o'boy. Music lives in moments like those, and so do I.

I found Midnight Odyssey from this topic. I like it.

Lately I've been also into Genesis (Nursery Cryme, Trespass), King Crimson, Eloy (Ocean), Pink Floyd (Animals) . . .
Heith

Post by Heith »

I've found the joys of Nightbringer again. I really like "Ego Dominus Tuus".
Circaeon

Post by Circaeon »

Helioum Vola's beautiful adaption of Minnesänger Gottfried von Neifen's devotional poem Saelic saelig sî diu wunne in Mittelhochdeutsch.

“Saelic, saelic sî diu wunne,
saelic sî des wunnebernden meien zît.
Saelic sî der vogel singen,
saelic sî diu ouwe, saelic sî der walt...”

Link to track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giJ8IsppVxo
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

After decades of trying, it seems that I am finally getting into Classical Music. I think I am slowly but certainly falling in love with Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPjFjUonX8
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Sothoth

Post by Sothoth »

obnoxion wrote:After decades of trying, it seems that I am finally getting into Classical Music. I think I am slowly but certainly falling in love with Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFPjFjUonX8
I kinda fell in love with ballet in Ukraine. We went to see Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake in Lviv at a fancy opera house. It was amazing experience!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ7ztMH_8yk
Heith

Post by Heith »

I'm on a Finnish streak.

Lasten Hautausmaa has been playing today, as well as Sammal.

Yesterday I was listening to Mana Mana, and Pyhä Kuolema.