What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Nefastos

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Nefastos »

Perhaps not "much", but from fra Teratokrios' suggestion, I bought their Trowo Phurnag Ceremony some years back, and have liked it. In case like is a correct word to use in this occasion; clearly this is not music that one listens for entertainment. To my extremely inexpert ears, it sounds & gives quite authentic atmosphere similar to the actual lamasery recordings I have (Lektrima &c. from monastery Drepung Loseling and Mahâkâla &c. from monastery of Gyütö).
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

I found the throat drone alone a little boring, because I have no context, other than music. Bön is interesting, but I haven't studied. Their collaboration with Visions, "Monad", I enjoyed a lot. It's one of the best deep ambient records in recent years.
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

Nefastos wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:29 pm Perhaps not "much", but from fra Teratokrios' suggestion, I bought their Trowo Phurnag Ceremony some years back, and have liked it. In case like is a correct word to use in this occasion; clearly this is not music that one listens for entertainment. To my extremely inexpert ears, it sounds & gives quite authentic atmosphere similar to the actual lamasery recordings I have (Lektrima &c. from monastery Drepung Loseling and Mahâkâla &c. from monastery of Gyütö).
Just the whole idea of focusing on tone and sound and timbre makes Phurpa interesting for me. Just like Benemal, I don't have any context and in addition I don't know anything about Bön tradition. I have just seen the interviews in Russian and English.
And I am not sure about their philosophy behind the act.

Nevertheless not the same thing but Sleep's one hour long song Dopesmoker is one of those albums as well that might be a bit boring for some people but I enjoy the gritty guitar tone and chanting vocals that I every time fall into somekind of trance and just continue to listen to it until I notice the song is about to end.
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Well, now that Sleep has been mentioned, I feel compelled to mention OM (two members of Sleep ). Their "Conference Of The Birds" is my favorite RHP stoner record.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Something very appropriate for Friday. This is one prime example of those BM albums I will never give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLrTnb5EPUA

Greetings from frater Libra!
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts on Phurba!
Boreas wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am Something very appropriate for Friday. This is one prime example of those BM albums I will never give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLrTnb5EPUA
I consider "Wrath of the Tyrant" and "In the Nightside Eclipse" to be masterpieces, but I just didn't find a way into the world of "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk". Not even after a dozen listenings. And I've never heard another new album from Emperor since.

I hate to be that 80's and 90's BM man, but what can you do... Things just haven't been the same since.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

"Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk"

Coincidentally, I too was just yesterday listening to this album. Now I am a great admirer of the pompous & grand style, and have more than a fair share of delusions of grandeur, but I cannot but to smile when the empyreal music goes wild while the singer recites in awe:
Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk wrote: O Nightspirit
I am one with thee
I am... the eternal power!!
I am... THE EMPEROR!!!!

I went on thinking that Okay, perhaps there are times in which that kind of emancipation is needed. This world is rough and oppressing, and maybe there are times when one should remind himself: "I am Johannes Nefastos; I am so cool that ice cubes form on their own in the rum coke I am holding!", mutatis mutandis. But in almost every case, to think like this is the surest way to lose all kind of actual elevating energy.

Our time is a strange one in that that it really does not seem to get this, no matter what the music genre, or other cultural milieu. People really seem to think that yelling "I am the emperor!!!" is what the emperors do.

...Personally I like more Mortiis' astral emperorism. Like in the I Am The Black Wizards or Keiser Av En Dimensjon Ukjent. He seems so submerged into his own world that it does not even need to include anyone else who would be listening to those cries of supremacy. That kind of loneliness in self-immersion is something I consider much more beautiful, because it follows the lonely astral logic of dreams, instead of machismo. Of course, these are so subtle differences that one can disagree easily.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Nefastos wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:33 pm ...Personally I like more Mortiis' astral emperorism. Like in the I Am The Black Wizards or Keiser Av En Dimensjon Ukjent. He seems so submerged into his own world that it does not even need to include anyone else who would be listening to those cries of supremacy. That kind of loneliness in self-immersion is something I consider much more beautiful, because it follows the lonely astral logic of dreams, instead of machismo. Of course, these are so subtle differences that one can disagree easily.
I am in perfect agreement!
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

I have always taken Anthems as a long practice of "assumption of God forms" And therefore all grandeur and "I am the Emperor!" shouts Fall logically in place in this very dramatic Luciferian play. I've never seen them expressing Ihsahn's or anyone elses megalomania.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Great to have discussion here.
Boreas wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:20 pmI've never seen them expressing Ihsahn's or anyone elses megalomania.

You make it sound that I meant it as an argument ad hominem, which is understandable. But I spoke of the art as it is; as the expression it makes as a form of art, and the cultural context that transcends the individual. I know nothing about Ihsahn's mental states; I have always been reluctant to think black metal artists as some kind of heroes, and avoided focusing on knowledge on their personal statements and masks they adopt to hide their personal fragility (which is the human lot that no one escapes). What interests me is their black art, and Anthems does not strike me as a very good depiction of the way of how I personally consider the Lucifer's fall, an extremely important story to me as a Luciferian Satanist. Many of the persons whose musical taste I appreciate – more than my own, in a way! – think otherwise. De gustibus non est disputandum, but there are cultural forms of hubris I do & will fight against.