Film, Radio and TV

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Heith

Re: Film, Radio and TV

Post by Heith »

Great, just a few days ago I pondered if you have started watching Valhalla Rising yet. :)
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Jiva wrote:I finally got round to watching Valhalla Rising. Actually, I've watched it a few times although I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. One part of the film that I can definitely say I like a lot is the section where everyone is drugged by the general and One Eye starts balancing rocks. I guess the rocks could be interpreted as a totem, representative of the fate he has inherited and does nothing to change.

I also couldn't help but think that the tribesmen were supposed to be Skræling, perhaps symbolic of discovering/founding a 'new kingdom' on a new continent. Additionally, Mads Mikkelsen is a great actor :D.

Actually, I'd forgotten that I've seen Thor. Fairly terrible, but not as awful as Beowulf :P.
I kind of liked Beowulf. It wasn't great movie, but pretty ok. About Thor it's good to remember that it doesn't tell the story of mythological Thor, but Marvel Universe Thor that is not the same even it's heavily influenced by Mythology. Just once seen the Valhalla Rising and I remember it being different and weird. It's a bit question mark still for me.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

Actually, it occurs to me that the pile of stone One-Eye tries to make could be a hörgr. After all, they seem to have an association with Odin or Thor.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Heith

Post by Heith »

Interesting, thanks for sharing this thought. I talked about the scene in the film a couple of weeks back and I suggested some kind of altar as well, but my friend saw it as something totally different. I guess that is why Valhalla Rising is so great- one can interpret it in so many ways.
Jiva

Post by Jiva »

For those who like 60's movies I've just realised that two cult classics haven't been mentioned here yet.

The first is Eye of the Devil which reveals the story of a pagan cult that subvert Catholic rituals and practices. Stars a load of famous British actors (Donald Pleasence, David Niven) as well as Sharon Tate, which has therefore contributed somewhat to its cult status. However, it's also easy to see that this film seriously influenced those who made the Wicker Man some years later.

The second is The Devil Rides Out which is actually probably quite well known, but I'm going to talk about it anyway :P. As it's Hammer Horror it naturally stars Christopher Lee, but even though he sports a goatee - the sign of all evil - he's nevertheless the 'good guy' to make a change. The film gets a lot of occult terminology correct and is the only film I can remember that actually references the term 'Left Hand Path'. A lot of the imagery and dialogue has also worked its way into album artwork or samples in songs.
'Oh Krishna, restless and overpowering, this mind is overwhelmingly strong; I think we might as easily gain control over the wind as over this.'
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

Has anyone seen the 2009 film 'Antichrist'; written and directed by Lars von Trier?

To me at least, it was shot fairly beautifully, and it is layered in symbolism. Although I am still trying to form a full understanding of it myself, I interpreted it as loosely expressing the fall of man from innocence into the suffering of form. As the child (appropriately named 'Nick') falls in the prologue, there is an impression that he is aware that he knows what he is doing, with a certain sense of joy. It also transpires later in the film that his mother helplessly watched as he jumps; too busy in her lustful and excessive behaviour to notice before hand. My interpretation of this was that the child represented the wise serpent and the fall; giving man the knowledge of suffering inherent in form. This is symbolised perhaps even more obviously in that the mother and father are not given names, and spend the majority of the duration of the film in a wood called 'Eden'.

I may be looking at this too simply however, and there are vastly contrasting interpretations of it accounted by others online; mainly surrounding themes of feminism. There is a definite feminine emphasis, but I viewed this more to do with the synonymy with nature, rather than feminism.
I can also not settle on what is behind the symbolism of hordes of animated and unanimated females as well as the implication of child abuse, so would be interested to hear any interpretations of others whom have seen it?
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
RaktaZoci

Post by RaktaZoci »

Omoksha wrote:Has anyone seen the 2009 film 'Antichrist'; written and directed by Lars von Trier?
I did see this, but it was around the time it was released, so I can't recall any specifics. I remember Willem Dafoe and that it was one of the LvT movies I didn't particularly like.

I've been meaning to watch Nymphomaniac for some time now, and I believe it's up for rental now actually. Should be interesting. Other titles from him I'd recommend, however, such as 'Melancholia' and the mini-serie "The Kingdom" (orig. Riget).

In case horror/exploitation raises an interest I'd like to mention a French movie called "Martyrs" (2008) by Pascal Laugier which made an impact on me in its sheer anxiety.
Another worth mentioning is Michael Hanekes "Funny Games". Both the German and the Hollywood version are good, since they are both directed by him.
die Eule der Minerva beginnt erst mit der einbrechenden Dämmerung ihren Flug.
-Hegel
Mimesis

Post by Mimesis »

Thank you for the recommendations. The only Lars von Trier film I have seen is, as aforementioned, Antichrist, but will endeavour to experience some of these.
"We are such stuff. As dreams are made on, and our little life. Is rounded with a sleep."
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

This one is one to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ_Yo06kIIA

Watching this one is beneficial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS4p4ihS0QE

If you like European intellectual shit, this one is the shit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwmbp44DHY
Or maybe just weird and less intellectual. Von Trier and others like that bore me.

This is one of my all-time favorites. Makes me cry every time. A stunning masterpiece. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shSedEJX9r8
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

RaktaZoci wrote:...the mini-serie "The Kingdom" (orig. Riget).

In case horror/exploitation raises an interest I'd like to mention a French movie called "Martyrs" (2008) by Pascal Laugier which made an impact on me in its sheer anxiety.
Another worth mentioning is Michael Hanekes "Funny Games". Both the German and the Hollywood version are good, since they are both directed by him.
I think I haven't seen Funny games, but Riget is great and Martyrs one of my (new) favourites. I also recommend with Martyrs this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222368/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 and this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1658837/?ref_=nv_sr_1
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"