Aesthetics of the Left Hand Path

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.

What's your relation to the aesthetics of the dark side?

Total votes: 0
Heith

Re: Aesthetics of the Left Hand Path

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote: In art that is not trying to be dark, that beautiful nightly feeling can present itself; but it one tries to be Mr. sinister grimdark, that will almost never work. The true creative spirit has already fled in that forced separation of those which are only seeming opposites.

It's not even uncommon these days for people to think that dark side aesthetics (or even religion/philosophy) can be made independently from the "white light" side. But that won't work, because the world isn't truly dualistic, but both of these are just in our minds as human beings, and we can sense things only by sublime contrasts. There are no angels whom many people wouldn't see as demons, and no devil that isn't some good aspect of God gotten out of check by its followers.[/color]
Yes, indeed. We have an understanding in this.

I've sometimes had BM-bands approach me, asking me to draw them a "really fucking evil album cover" (pardon my vulgar choice of words there). This has, without exception been the usual phallic-goat-raping-a-nun-in-darkness kind of imagery, and obviously I've to turn this kind of things down.

I also agree with Benemal- a pentagram doesn't make the illustration / artwork occult. For me, the effect is often completely opposite when such symbols are placed in a work without any further thought or knowledge of them. It makes the art pretentious, impossible, frustrating to look at.

No no, it's much better to save one's face and to use a entirely different symbol and self-made language! In this way no one can ever claim one is wrong ;)

I'll comment on the blood sacrifice thing later, and here' s a good synchronism as I was just two days ago pondering if to comment on the "blood sacrifice"-thread, asking what are peoples' ideas of this within SOA.
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Heith wrote:I've sometimes had BM-bands approach me, asking me to draw them a "really fucking evil album cover" (pardon my vulgar choice of words there). This has, without exception been the usual phallic-goat-raping-a-nun-in-darkness kind of imagery, and obviously I've to turn this kind of things down.

Yes, those are two really different things: real art, and "heavy metal art" that is evil in a juvenile way. There's a soft spot in my heart even for the latter, and I might really enjoy wearing goat raping a nun t-shirt occasionally. But it's not art, much less spirit, it's just a middle finger, sometimes good to raise against both heavens and man made conventionalities. Like a sociological element of Satanism, not even close in meaning to the truly devotional one.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Aye, indeed.

We were just talking of the most awful metal album covers the other day, and couldn't quite figure out what was the worst, or if the worst was actually best. The names of the albums escape me, but we all agreed that Marduk's "Fuck me Jesus"- EP is a clip art classic. Or well, not exactly clip art, but it looks so badly made that the impression is like that.

As to you giving the middle finger, I think the My Little Pony T-shirt is much more provoking and troubling to me :D Great!
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Heith wrote:As to you giving the middle finger, I think the My Little Pony T-shirt is much more provoking and troubling to me

You couldn't have seen me shoppin at Toys R Us yesterday, because I wasn't there.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Heith

Post by Heith »

Nefastos wrote:

You couldn't have seen me shoppin at Toys R Us yesterday, because I wasn't there.
No matter how hard I try, to this I've no witty reply. You win this round! :D
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

By the way, I think I started this conversation in a wrong area of topics, and as an aesthetical question this should be in Arts. It's sometimes hard to get a grasp the logic with which our forums discussions are organized... sorry about that.

The basic idea behind the forum's structure is good though, in my opinion: the first large section is meant to focus on intellectual, neutral subjects; the second to more subjective thoughts on occult practices (in a wider sense of the word); and the third is about more physical & mundane aspects & the most practical, time-bound side of the work. Because of that, one easily sees what aspect of the work - spirit, soul or body - is getting too much or too little attention, and one can focus more in the latter.

So, if there'll be no thoughts on symbolistic side of the LHP aesthetics, I'll move the topic soon.
Heith

Post by Heith »

Move please. I can never find this one.
Seeker666

Post by Seeker666 »

I chose the first and second.

I enjoy the morbid and macabre images especially.
skulls, bones, catacombs, etc. because i see the bones of a corpse as being the mortal soul made manifest. they are the sacred vessels of spirit that are the only things to remain after flesh-ego rots away via putrefaction and mortification. bones and skulls are the vessels of not just spirit but in the case of the skull it is the vessel of the mind. and the imagination.

I also enjoy religious iconography, whether that of Death, the angels, the Demons, the Master, The Christ, or other Gods and deities from different belief systems and pantheons.
I find a quiet beauty in their symbolism and enjoy interpreting them through the lens of my own changing practice. for example, a statue of the virgin Mary who is crowned with stars, clothed in flowing robes, and standing upon a serpent, can represent Lilith in her empress aspect. especially if she is enthroned and carrying a child, (i.e. The Black Madonna) in this form she is Lilith-Sophia, the mother of Cain and bearer of Ophidian wisdom.
I love making my own artistic representations of spirits and gods i am devoted to as well.
"Eritis sicut Deus, Scientes Bonum et Malum"- Mephistopheles