Cult Of Cage

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Benemal

Cult Of Cage

Post by Benemal »

I've been out of it for a while, and it seemed Nicolas Cage was doing crappy looking, low-budget straight to video actionthiller garbage, for a decade. Well, not just those. The films Mandy (2018) and Color Out Of Space (2019), went to my watchlist, and I finally wathed them.

I'll keep things simple, because I ususally don't get analytical about films.

Mandy is a woman who gets burned alive by an insane cult. Cage goes after them. First he casts a heavy metal battle axe. There's also bikers that reminded me of the Cenobytes.

First I thought the film is just a tribute to David Lynch and Dario Argento. It's more than that. There's a joy in this absurd darkness. There's hardly any story, but in this case style makes up for plenty. Watched it sober, but this is the sort that might make you feel like you've smoked something. Great dark droning soundtrack, though film is very Metal.

As you might guess, the latter film is inspired by Lovecraft. Family in a house, and meteor causes weird things to start happening. Pretty looking film. A little bit of The Thing. I found this psychedelic also, sober. By the way, director is an occultist. His low budget post-apocalytic cult classic, Hardware(1990), is recommended for fans of the genre.

edit:mistake
Kenazis

Re: Cult Of Cage

Post by Kenazis »

Mandy was big positive surprise for me. The atmosphere is very odd in it. The other one I havent seen. Willy's wonderland was a weird one also. These are not my favourite movies or style, but I think people who like Evil Dead style oddness may find these enjoyable.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Mars

Post by Mars »

I liked Color Out of Space even though I'm not a fan of body horror which it had to an extent. The Lovecraftian atmosphere was strong and even Nicolas Cage didn't ruin it as he gave a rather subdued performance by his standards.
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

I've been waiting for you to post this. Given our overlapping interests in well pretty much everything so far it might come as a shock to you that I have not seen either of these films. If it offers any consolation though I have been meaning to watch both for some time, and since you now mentioned these I decided that today was gonna be the day for the Color Out of Space.

Without going into too much details since I think movies are best seen without too many preconceptions its a very pretty film indeed, with a lot of vivid fluorescent eye candy. I liked Madeleine Arthurs performance. The Master himself (Cage) didn't come across as being coked-up and separate from his surroundings at all.

Watching this reminded of my ex-girlfriend and her very particular sense of humour. She used to print pictures of Nicolas Cage and hide them all over our apartment. For some reason (unknown to me since I am a cultist) she thought this was gonna annoy me. She hid them everywhere, in cabinets, drawers, in my wallet et cetera. It would not surprise me if I still found a picture of him lurking in some dark corner of my apartment even though its been almost a decade since we broke up.

I will try to watch Mandy this weekend if I can find time from work. Willy's wonderland is also on my list.
Kenazis wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:12 pmEvil Dead
I am a fanatic devotee of this franchise and Bruce Campbell's campy wholesomeness. First installement scared the living dead out of me when I watched it as a young kid. It was one of the first horror movies that i saw. The series was one of the recent nostalgy reboots that i actually enjoyed. Although it somewhat failed to capture much of the atmosphere of the original films I think it had its moments and is in overall an entertaining watch.
"The time has come to turn your heart into a temple of fire."

- Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Rūmī
Benemal

Post by Benemal »

Nahumatarah wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:09 pm Willy's wonderland is also on my list.
This one I'm not watching sober.
Only the middle one for me.

Amusingly, there's Cage Cult film coming soon, about the Cult Of Cage, where Cage plays himself; The Unbearable Weight Of Massive talent.
Kenazis

Post by Kenazis »

Benemal wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:04 pm
Nahumatarah wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:09 pm Willy's wonderland is also on my list.
This one I'm not watching sober.
Only the middle one for me.

Amusingly, there's Cage Cult film coming soon, about the Cult Of Cage, where Cage plays himself; The Unbearable Weight Of Massive talent.
Middle one is greatest, no contest there.
"We live for the woods and the moon and the night"
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

I though I'd give Mandy a go as I'm home alone with glühwein and candles. But then again my mental state is already deteriorating (?) so I fear that it would be the last drop, heh.
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.
Nahumatarah

Post by Nahumatarah »

Benemal wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:04 pmAmusingly, there's Cage Cult film coming soon, about the Cult Of Cage, where Cage plays himself; The Unbearable Weight Of Massive talent.
These news are seriously testing my sobriety.

So I watched Mandy today. What can I say? I loved it. Soundtrack by Jóhann Jóhannsson, whom the film is also dedicated to, was excellent. The Master himself came across as being very coked-up and dangerous to his surroundings, which considering the plot was likely intentional, and worked great. All in all, a great visually appealing movie. Would, and probably will watch again.
"The time has come to turn your heart into a temple of fire."

- Jalāl ad-Dīn Mohammad Rūmī