What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
obnoxion

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by obnoxion »

Boreas wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm You are of course right frater Obnoxion. I noticed this compulsive need for impulsive communication as a vice of the Ansuz rune just now myself and not just in this thread. Although I have no objection if More people shared their current music while online, I'd like to delve into and familiarize people's mental landscapes through music.
I understand perfectly. And I too have done this in other platforms. I think that if we want to post numerous links to songs in a short period time (I might also want to do that someday...), we ought to say that much more about the songs, and in increasingly clear and lucid language. That would likely dilute the agitating taste of haste that is a major hinderance in this sort of rapid communication of ideas via utube links. Impulsive posting with little explanation tends to snuff out the disussion and perhaps even the interest in songs posted in a flooding manner.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Apologies for my part for flooding!

Some descriptions then.

Pink is something I occasionally listen if I want to have a good boost of "masculine feminine energy" for lack of a better description. I like her style of singing and the songs are surprisingly good mostly (not all, some are horrible). She's a gifted dancer also.

Divna Ljubojevic is a Goddess on her own right. The power of her songs is incredible and was one thing that even made me consider converting to Orthodoxy in the time when this thing was "in the air" so to speak for me personally with other things related to Orthodoxy. My thoughts then were "if there's such beauty in Orthodoxy, why not try to follow that path?" I still have my DIvna nights now and then, and right after this is written I'm going to listen to her i Melodi - Axion Esti.

Axion Esti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPqRAqQ8ZpM

Tiamat has been very important band for me after I heard Wildhoney in my teens. The particular song I linked is so shameless it causes me hilarious emotions. "Azazelian themes" are all around Tiamat's songs and records.

Samael's Reing of Light still competes for their best album together with Passage. The particular song I linked has a line that has been very important me during the years: "Have you ever wondered what you really want, when it all comes down, it comes down to this." I think Samael is one of the bands that have saved me from considering suicide again!
Last edited by Angolmois on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Thank you for the great descriptions! They got me very interested in the songs you posted.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

This song is one part of my wednesday / dies mercuri practice. I might listen to it other days also, but mostly in wednesdays at some point. I don't really like any other songs from Sleipnir but this song is incredibly beautiful ballad to Odin. I sets up the mood into prayer and invocation very well.

Sleipnir - Vater Odin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmVCw2lo54o
Guldalder

Post by Guldalder »

Nefastos wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:31 pm
obnoxion wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:20 pmDark Funeral. It is basically the same song over and over again. And this goes especially for the lyrics, which must be among the most impoverished in big league black metal. Just the same words recycled, over and over again.

You are not wrong. Somehow it was just this emptiness of form, connected to the correct key words (basically, "Satan") that I found tantalizing.
I might just be unable to perform a search properly in this thread, but have any of you (or someone else) been listening to Behexen? I didn't find any mentions of the band here, and considering both it's artistic merit, heavy religious influences and the fact that it hails from our home country, I thought it was certainly worth bringing up.

I discovered "Nightside Emanations" back in 2012, the year it was first released. The wonderful cover art, depicting Lilith in a serpentine, winged form with each of her most well-known attributes, instantly caught my interest.

You can see the cover art in the video while listening to "Death's Black Light":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUsxlFyu3d4

All in all I'd have to say that this is a brilliant album, and I personally think this example of raw black metal is elevated by the fact that the musicians take the material's foundations seriously. An excerpt of the lyrics:

"Can you hear it's heavy beat?
The pulse of the black dragon
Fulfilled with new obscure power
Stolen from the Sephirotic side
The abyss shows it's face
Feed the roots of the Tree of Death
It's branches crush the strings of lies
And reveal our terrifying God
The time of re-awakening is at hand
In your wisdom, Lord of the other side..."

A bit off-topic: based on the reading I've done about the different early Nordic black metal scenes over the years, I'm convinced that genuine Satanism (in any form) wasn't practiced amongst the Norwegian musicians (not until later, with bands from ca 2000s onwards), whereas Sweden and Finland "were first", given the foundation of the Misanthropic Luciferian Order and rise of several bands with theistic Satanist beliefs (Arckanum, Dissection, Archgoat, Watain, Satanic Warmaster).

Maybe not very surprising, since black metal in Norway evolved from espousing anti-authoritarian/punk attitudes in the mid 80s to anti-Christianity in the early 90s, while combining themes from both Scandinavian folklore and Satanic symbols in the music and its presentation. But it seems that those early bands left their so called Satanic ties to simply imagery, much like their inspirational sources (Venom, Bathory).
About his intelligence should no man be boastful, rather conscious of mind. -Hávamál
Nefastos

Post by Nefastos »

Guldalder wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 pmI might just be unable to perform a search properly in this thread, but have any of you (or someone else) been listening to Behexen?

Naturally. I have a great appreciation of Behexen. That's why I mentioned Bythos above (April 21).

Guldalder wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:55 pmThe wonderful cover art, depicting Lilith in a serpentine, winged form with each of her most well-known attributes, instantly caught my interest.

The artist is indeed talented. I had a pleasure of receiving her art for my Pillars: The Scalding of Sapientia article "Proud as the Sky's Vault, Humble as Bone".

I'll bring your other idea to another thread. Boreas started it, after all, mainly to discuss black metal, even though we changed the name later.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Guldalder

Post by Guldalder »

Nefastos wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am
Naturally. I have a great appreciation of Behexen. That's why I mentioned Bythos above (April 21).

The artist is indeed talented. I had a pleasure of receiving her art for my Pillars: The Scalding of Sapientia article "Proud as the Sky's Vault, Humble as Bone".

I'll bring your other idea to another thread. Boreas started it, after all, mainly to discuss black metal, even though we changed the name later.
Good to hear, it seems like I have to check out Bythos too!

Wonderful to hear, do you know of any platform where I could see more of her works?

Thanks for linking to that thread, too - I just responded to your other message a moment ago, I'm going to start browsing the thread's earlier posts soon enough. Glad to see there's so much discussion around the topic!
About his intelligence should no man be boastful, rather conscious of mind. -Hávamál
Kavi

Post by Kavi »

I have been reading this topic for a while as an observant and listened to all music which are shared here.
Hail Spirit Noir seems to have been releasing new music this year.

I found Washington D.C based coptic orthodox church which has made recordings and I have been listening to Good Friday's recitation of Jeremiah's lamentations and recitation of psalms and hearing English language sung in Arabic maqam is so beautiful thing to listen.
I assume knowing Hebrew/aramea would open completely new ways to interpret these books of old testament.

Psalm 147:
https://youtu.be/TaHfWKgCOOQ
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

I'm just listening to My Dying Bride's The Dreadful Hours, which is perhaps my third favorite album from them after Turn Loose the Swans and The Angel and the Dark River. Definitely a good Saturday album, and definitely one of my favorite artists in general in the metal of doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v81y4-2mUOc
Soror O

Post by Soror O »

Anna von Hausswolff: The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_GGdrMo4A4

Ritelike rhythm, splendid, shamanic vocals - what's there not to like. The video is nice, lyrics personally close to me atm.

(Lyrics googled, not sure if correct.)

My feet are not enough
My feet are not enough
My feet are not enough
My feet are not enough
To save me
To save me
His search is not enough
His search is not enough
To find me
To find me
My love is not enough
My love is not enough
To save me
To save me
You search through the forest and the bottomless sea
And you cry
Push the trees, push the sky, push the air aside
You look at their faces and their meaningless loss
And you cry
Who is she, who is she, who is she to say good bye?
Bye
If you want to reborn, let yourself die.