What are you listening to at the moment?

Visual arts, music, poetry and other forms of art.
Nefastos

Re: What are you listening to at the moment?

Post by Nefastos »

obnoxion wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:20 pmDark Funeral. It is basically the same song over and over again. And this goes especially for the lyrics, which must be among the most impoverished in big league black metal. Just the same words recycled, over and over again.

You are not wrong. Somehow it was just this emptiness of form, connected to the correct key words (basically, "Satan") that I found tantalizing.
Faust: "Lo contempla. / Ei muove in tortuosa spire / e s'avvicina lento alla nostra volta. / Oh! se non erro, / orme di foco imprime al suol!"
Beshiira

Post by Beshiira »

After having listened to orthodox (slavic and byzantine) and gregorian liturgical music almost exclusively during the days and weeks around easter, black metal has suddenly sounded very refreshing again. Somehow "grounding" too. I don't listen to black metal as much as I used to, but it doesn't seem to be leaving my life entirely either. Usually for me too it's mostly about going back to the old favorites, rather than exploring newer bands. Regarding the mentioned "grounding"; I guess what I tend to appreciate in BM nowadays has to do with a certain "goetic feel". A feel of "earthly forces storming like flames" (which applies to other forms of at least seemingly aggressive music too), if that makes any sense. I feel the strenght of BM is in this more primitive expression; not too "intellectual" and not overly "occult" in an underlined way. And that feeling I get from the more aggressive and rawer, less melodic style of BM (e.g. was never a big fan of the symphonic style, even though I'm planning to give it another chance too, heh!). But then again, this too goes in phases, and precisely the union of melody (beauty) and rawness is what got me interested in BM in the first place (as pretty much everyone else, I guess...). I'm currently in the middle of a Marduk binge, and the goetic inspiration is definitely strong there.
"Ja kun minun kirkkauteni kulkee ohitse, asetan minä sinut kallion rotkoon ja peitän sinut kädelläni, kunnes olen kulkenut ohi.
Kun minä sitten siirrän pois käteni, näet sinä minun selkäpuoleni; mutta minun kasvojani ei voi kenkään katsoa."
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

Beshiira wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:37 pm I'm currently in the middle of a Marduk binge, and the goetic inspiration is definitely strong there.
Marduk was among the best Swedish bands, in the big league at least. Legion was the best thing that happened to Marduk, and "Heaven shall burn..." their greatest moment. Only the cover art seemed like a strange choice, but the colours were nice, so it was easy on the eyes. I still remember most of the lyrics by heart, and at least some of them were penned by Särkkä. They reminded me of the strangely satanic world of Ophthalamia, which brought in extra nuances. I'm sure that Legion and Särkkä brought with them those influences. The lyrics aren't exactly poems, but they come alive when supported by the music and the voice.

I felt that "Nightwing" lacked heart, and then it all went to some kind of war metal, which ruined occult trash in the '80's. After that, my intrest droped to zero. Perhaps Håkansson got his way, as I've understood he is bit of a militarist.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

I can't decide whether Tarja Turunen or Johanna Kurkela is the most beautiful woman in Finalnd, maybe even in the world. Been lately visiting NIghtwish again after a break. I don't generally love metal music with female clean vocals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBdpFJyFkc

After Nightwish Johanna then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PvBsUWryCY
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

Tonight seems to be Goddess Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nrv5teMc9Y
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

One More for the goddess night:

https://youtu.be/AE1FzSC8DBs
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

This is something I'd recommend to anyone with a bad self esteem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQKlh7UxaRQ
obnoxion

Post by obnoxion »

I think it would be helpful if we would always name the artist and the title of the song when we post these links. And also, I would like it if we could write a few sentences about the song and the artist.

Last thing I want to say is, that if we post many links in a short period of time, it takes away from their profundity. It doesn't make an ideal space for contemplation, if this topic becomes like impulsive radio.
One day of Brahma has 14 Indras; his life has 54 000 Indras. One day of Vishnu is the lifetime of Brahma. The lifetime of Vishnu is one day of Shiva.
Angolmois

Post by Angolmois »

You are of course right frater Obnoxion. I noticed this compulsive need for impulsive communication as a vice of the Ansuz rune just now myself and not just in this thread. Although I have no objection if More people shared their current music while online, I'd like to delve into and familiarize people's mental landscapes through music.